The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection announced yesterday, 24th March, new rates of social welfare payments for those impacted by COVID-19. These include;
- a temporary wage subsidy of 70% of take home pay up to a maximum weekly tax free amount of €410 per week to help affected companies keep paying their employees. This is the equivalent of €500 per week before tax
- workers who have lost their jobs due to the crisis will receive an enhanced emergency COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment of €350 per week (an increase from €203) If you have already applied before the 24th of March or are already in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment you do not need to do anything. Your next payment will be paid at the increased rate.
- the COVID-19 illness payment will also be increased to €350 per week
- the self-employed will be eligible for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment of €350 directly from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (rather than the Revenue scheme)
- enhanced protections for people facing difficulties with their mortgages, rent or utility bills
The Department’s COVID-19 Income Support Helpline is open 9am-5pm on 01-2481398/1890-800-024. Please DO NOT visit your local Intreo Office